In School Fabric Design/Silkscreen Workshops featuring Upcycling and Sustainability for Students
BIG NEWS ! We've moved to a fabulous, huge, gorgeous NEW location - 1694 Queen St West, at Roncesvalles. See you here <3
Art teacher !
Here is a description of my in school workshop! Call me to discuss timing, budget, class size and any variation on this theme that works for you!
Hope to talk soon,
647 740 1141
I teach amazing fabric design/silkscreen workshops - that often focus on recycling/upcycling readymade items into something new with a screen print. I hold these classes in my art studio and in the classrooms across Ontario.
Students learn and do the whole process of photo emulsion screenprinting with me, and make their own original designs and printed items.
I can also help the school set up a low cost, simple screenprint studio the students can continue to use after my workshop is done.
My classes offer :
*Flexible time - one 3 hour class to a 3 day session depending on what you prefer.
* Everything is taken care of - I bring all supplies - with an emphasis on non toxic, recycled and waterbased products, all equipment, and extra help as needed
* Flexible pricing - let me know what your budget is per student, and I will make it work
Students Learn :
* About fabric design and ways to design a print, I bring the art supplies and show samples
* All the basics of photo emulsion screen printing using complete hands-on techniques
* How a small creative business, using this process can work - as a part time summer job or a career idea.
* How to create sustainable fashion by 'upcycling' preowned clothes and textiles with screenprinting and fabric design
What we do :
* Introduction to fabric design/screen printing
* Students create their designs - either based on a theme or as an open project
* Students each make a small silkscreen and expose their design on to the screen
* Everyone picks items to print and practices screenprinting
Items they could print are :
* Clothes and textiles from home that are no longer wanted - let's keep them out of landfill - an old shirt can be a printed tote bag or pillow !
* Fabric and canvas pieces (I can provide)
* Tote bags
* Tea towels
* Students have a good understanding and practice of photo emulsion screenprinting
* Participants have a real feeling of accomplishment having mastered a technique and created interesting things
Participants will have a 'critical eye' of consumer products as they know what they are able to create themselves, often without buying something new.
Students have an understanding of a small creative business and its possibilities.
* The Class might decide to make screenprint items for a school fundraiser - it's a great idea!
* Students might consider more recycling and upcycling what they own for more sustainable living
* And of course, creating original visual art is always good for the soul/cognitive development and everyone will have FUN
* All students get a signed (by me !) Certificate of Completion of my Photo-Emulsion Screenprinting Course, when they are done. See picture here.
Call me, Kingi, for details ! 647 740 1141
Here are 2 recent - July 2019 messages I got from a full day workshop participants - People LOVE my workshop - and YOU will too <3
"Just loved this screen printing workshop! Kingi is so generous with her in-depth knowledge of screen printing. Her method of screen printing has been perfected over many years and it shows...she has lots of tricks she shares and she breaks down the process so it’s easy and you can get amazing results screen printing at home with minimal investment Was a great day at her funky art studio and an honour to learn from the screen printing Queen herself...always loved her designs from the iconic Peach Berserk store on Queen West and am so excited to create some of my own cool designs using the methods she taught. "
"We had such a great time learning screen printing from Kingi! She is incredibly knowledgeable and really demystified the process, it was so easy to learn and experiment under her supervision! We now feel confident creating screens from scratch and printing our designs all on our own. Also she shares great tips that makes the whole process inexpensive for those just starting out! Highly recommend!
To top if off, the space at Peach Berserk is so beautiful! Covered in eclectic art and furniture - it makes a great space for events and photoshoots."Thanks again!! We had a blast!" Marco.