In School Fabric Design/Silkscreen Workshops featuring Upcycling and Sustainability for Students
Dear Art teacher !
Here is a description of my in school workshop! Call me to discuss timing, budget, class size and any variation on this theme that works for you!
Hope to talk soon,
647 740 1141
I teach amazing fabric design/silkscreen workshops - that often focus on recycling/upcycling readymade items into something new with a screen print. I hold these classes in my art studio and in the classrooms across Ontario.
Students learn and do the whole process of photo emulsion screenprinting with me, and make their own original designs and printed items.
I can also help the school set up a low cost, simple screenprint studio the students can continue to use after my workshop is done.
My classes offer :
*Flexible time - one 3 hour class to a 3 day session depending on what you prefer.
* Everything is taken care of - I bring all supplies - with an emphasis on non toxic, recycled and waterbased products, all equipment, and extra help as needed
* Flexible pricing - let me know what your budget is per student, and I will make it work
Students Learn :
* About fabric design and ways to design a print, I bring the art supplies and show samples
* All the basics of photo emulsion screen printing using complete hands-on techniques
* How a small creative business, using this process can work - as a part time summer job or a career idea.
* How to create sustainable fashion by 'upcycling' preowned clothes and textiles with screenprinting and fabric design
What we do :
* Introduction to fabric design/screen printing
* Students create their designs - either based on a theme or as an open project
* Students each make a small silkscreen and expose their design on to the screen
* Everyone picks items to print and practices screenprinting
Items they could print are :
* Clothes and textiles from home that are no longer wanted - let's keep them out of landfill - an old shirt can be a printed tote bag or pillow !
* Fabric and canvas pieces (I can provide)
* Tote bags
* Tea towels
* Students have a good understanding and practice of photo emulsion screenprinting
* Participants have a real feeling of accomplishment having mastered a technique and created interesting things
Participants will have a 'critical eye' of consumer products as they know what they are able to create themselves, often without buying something new.
Students have an understanding of a small creative business and its possibilities.
* The Class might decide to make screenprint items for a school fundraiser - it's a great idea!
* Students might consider more recycling and upcycling what they own for more sustainable living
* And of course, creating original visual art is always good for the soul/cognitive development and everyone will have FUN
* All students get a signed (by me !) Certificate of Completion of my Photo-Emulsion Screenprinting Course, when they are done. See picture here.